Our Journey

On March 27th, I became ill with swelling, severe headaches and sickness. As the weekend progressed, I was very concerned with the decrease in movement from our baby boy in my womb. On March 28th I went to the ER to make sure the baby was ok because things just didn't seem right. Up until this point I had a normal, healthy pregnancy. After running numerous tests, my doctor kept me overnight for observation and would follow up in the morning with an ultrasound. During the night they hooked me up to a fetal heart monitor to keep track of baby Landon's heartbeat and movement. He was showing signs of distress and an unstable heartbeat. After completing the ultrasound they discovered my placenta was no longer functioning as it should, not delivering the necessary oxygen and nutrients for Landon to continue to thrive. They also discovered that Landon's growth was not that of a 28 week old, instead it was that of a 25 week old.
My doctor told us the alarming news and apologized but that she needed to turn her care over to one of the best hospitals in the state that is designed and equipped with staff for high risk situations like this. In a matter of 1 hour, me and Landon-still inside my tummy, were boarding a helicopter and flown by flight for life to Presbyterian St. Lukes Hospital. Bobby, Landon's father, watched as we took off in the helicopter. The next 2 days seemed endless. I did not sleep one minute. Landon and I were becoming sicker by the hour. They started me on steroid shots to help stimulate Landon's little lungs for the outside world in case they would have to take him early. The goal was to leave him in me as long as they could without compromising either of us. Landon's little heartbeat was having more and more difficulty staying stable. I was on complete bed rest and couldn't even lay in certain positions or else Landon's heartrate would decrease. At one point his heart rate fell and wasn't climbing back up. In a matter of seconds I had 6 people working on us about to whisk us off to the OR. Luckily, Landon's little heartrate climbed back up; however, by Wednesday, the doctors felt it was too risky for both of us to continue on like this. As they were wheeling me into the OR and prepping me, I remembered all of the prayers and support from everyone and I wasn't even scared. It was an amazing moment because I knew I was feeling the power of prayers and God. At 4:34 pm Landon John Netherland-DeMoss was born weighing 1 lb 9 oz and 12 inches long.The first time I laid eyes on him I cried in disbelief that I was staring at my son. I whispered to him that I had been waiting for this moment my entire life.
After Landon was born, I became sick with severe Preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome. On April 7th, I was discharged from the hospital and am on the mend. It's going to take several more weeks to overcome these pregnancy related illnesses but each day I am feeling stronger and healthier. I am so thankful to have Landon here with us and for me to still be here to raise him. Despite being born at a very early 28 weeks, Landon continues to grow and build strength at Presbyterian St. Lukes Hospital in Denver. Doctors are very optimistic and pleased with Landon’s progress and if he continues according to plan, we expect our son home from the hospital in late June. Both of us visit Landon in the NICU daily to monitor his progress and participate in his care. Landon is our first child and as I watch Bobby participate in Landon's care, I am so proud of him and what a great Daddy he is.Landon is hooked up to many tubes, one of which is a breathing ventilator and a feeding tube through which they give him my milk. When babies are born this early, the NICU creates a womb-like environment out of an incubator. Its very important for preemies this young to get lots of sleep and quiet time because that's when they do the most growing and developing. Landon's brain is still developing and when we touch him, we have been instructed not to stroke him, instead we place a firm touch on him. Because his sensory system is still developing, stroking him actually makes him feel uncomfortable and a strong firm touch makes him feel secure and warm like he did when he was in the womb. On a daily basis, Landon firmly grips our finger with his tiny hand. At times he holds on so strongly that his knuckles turn white. We've only been able to hold him twice so far-two very incredible moments for us.
The impact of your support and prayers has been incredible for us.

As we continue on this journey we will post Landon's updates and progress.



  1. Oh Jennifer, what a precious little bundle you have there!! I will keep Landon, you and his daddy all in my prayers..

    When I was born, sixty some years ago, I was born early too. I was about the same weeks term as your baby Landon. I weighed in at 1 pound and was 9 inches long. I fit inside the palm of my father's hand. My Mom said that I looked like a tiny little monkey, as I had fine fuzzy hair all over my face.. My father said they carried me on a small pillow, as they were afraid they'd break me.. You'd never know that I was that little today.. I'm 5' tall, and I am about 20 lbs. or so overweight..

    I'm sure little Landon will come along just fine!! Especially since nowadays they have all kinds of modern technologies and all..

    I will have you all in my prayers..

    Take care..


  2. Continuing to pray for your precious little Landon! My youngest son was a preemie. He is now 17 years old and doing well. He grew up too fast...being a preemie did not slow him down much.

  3. I will pray for him to continue to grow. He is just beautiful! Sending many blessings and prayers your way.

  4. Lynn - Thank you for your kind words! Just wanted to clarify... Landon in my friend Vicki's baby. I set this blog up as a way for her to keep a log of Landon's journey. I made this post for her, but it is Vicki's words.

  5. Praying for your sweet family Vicki....He is a precious gift from the Lord and I know HE is watching over each of you giving you just what you need day by day!

    Bless all of you!

  6. Praying for this precious little bundle of joy from God! He is truly a miracle and I will continue to lift you all up to the Lord!

  7. This reminds me so much of when my niece was born, although she was 2 weeks further along than little Landon. She is doing great now, she just turned 1 year old, and developmentally is on par with other 1 year olds.

    I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Miracles are happening every day!

  8. I am praying for Landon-- and for you and Bobby!

    What a precious gift!

  9. So many prayers for both of you - he is a beautiful gift from the Lord. I will be keeping up with you!

  10. I found you through Jennifer at Studio JRU - your sweet baby is just gorgeous (and that little fuzzy yellow hat is too cute).

    I'm thinking about all of you, from half-a-world away... and will check in to see how Landon is progressing.

  11. prayers are with you all from Australia
    My daughter Mia was born in 2000 weighing 740gms I think this might be the same weight as Landon. Mia was born at 28 weeks and was the size of a 23 weeker I suffered full blown eclampisa and had a partial stroke. Mia spent 3 months in nicu and she is now a bright happy 9 year old who is a blessing to our family, as Landon will be to yours
    I hold you and your family in my prayers and know exactly the rollercoaster that being a parent of a Premmie bubba, our love and prayers and lots of love...
    Marelle jackman Australia
    Landon is beautiful bless him

  12. Your positive spirit is truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story. My now-8-year-old son was born premature and is now tall, gangly, and healthy as can be. I will pray for you and your precious family.

  13. My grandsons were born 2 lbs 3 oz and 2 lbs. 13 oz. That may seem like HUGE babies compared to Landon, but wanted to tell you of the miracles that they are. They just finished preschool and are on their way to kindergarten. They are 5 and they are MIRACULOUS! My mama was dying of cancer at the very same time the boys were in the NICU and I was between the two places, plus trying to keep up my job, my house, my life, and maybe sleep a little. The boys continued to thrive as my mom continued to decline. 13 weeks after they were born, they came home and we took them to see their great-grandma. I have the most amazing pictures of her holding 2 babies and she is beaming. She went home a couple days later and I miss her so much each day. Every time I look at my twin grandsons I think of her saying, "Life goes on" and so it does. She was so right. Thank you for sharing a look at your beautiful, precious Landon. I am in love with him from afar! Praying from Iowa!! I LOVE your title, "Big in the Eyes and Heart of God"!

  14. Thank you everyone for you beautiful, inspiring words. You all have touched my heart and Landon's too. When he is old enough I will share this journal and your comments with Landon so that he can understand the strength of God, the power of prayers and the true beauty and spirit of people. Now that my mom is finally home from the hospital things are beginning to settle down and I can catch up with some journal updates of Landon. Thank you Lord for carrying us through this difficult time. - Vicki